Texans Notes: Preparing For Carolina
Today was the last practice before the Texans’ first preseason game, and the Texans prepared by running plays from the Carolina offense.
1. Along with the other players who have been injured throughout the week, Shaun Cody, Owen Daniels, and Randy Bullock did not practice.
2. Brian Cushing did not report to practice today after spending time in the hospital with an illness. Cushing has been released, and he is expected to play in the preseason opener against Carolina.
3. Rookie Running Back Jonathan Grimes did well in seven-on-seven running plays, with several uncontested touchdown runs. All of the Texans’ running backs have played well, and Grimes seems likely to earn a minimal role on special teams or the practice squad.
4. Dropped passes were a big problem at camp today. Rookie Tight End Logan Brock had the most difficulty, and Gary Kubiak got particularly frustrated with wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias after he missed an easy catch during seven-on-sevens.
5. The defense got off to a shaky start with several blown coverages, but tightened up towards the end of practice.
6. After suffering a mild groin injury yesterday, Rookie Inside Linebacker Shawn Loiseau practiced today without any issues. With Cushing’s absence, and injuries to Greg Williams, and Keyaron Fox the Texans need Loiseau to add depth at inside linebacker.