Texans Notes: Paul Wall, Injuries The Focus At Practice Friday
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
With J.J. Watt’s injury on Thursday, the Texans were cautious in risking potential injuries to other players.
1. Owen Daniels, Randy Bullock, Jerrell Jackson, and Jared Crick did not practice. Gary Kubiak has mentioned previously that he plans to keep Owen Daniels away from practice every few days just to make sure that he doesn’t get injured. Jared Crick sat out his second day of practice, and rookies Randy Bullock and Jerrell Jackson also sat out of practice with no apparent injuries.
2. In Owen Daniels’ absence Garret Graham got first team reps throughout practice. He received several targets yesterday, but has otherwise not outperformed James Casey. The extra attention that he has received could signify a possible move up on the depth chart, but is likely just getting attention because Daniels is gone.
3. Rookie guard Cody White was hit in the face and left individual drills early in practice holding his eyes. While working with medical staff he wore sunglasses and at one point had an IV connected to his eyes. His injury seemed painful, but he later returned to practice and finished the day without any further issues.
4. Derrell Smith got first team reps at fullback over veteran Moran Norris throughout practice. Smith is a former linebacker adjusting to the fullback position, and Norris has 12 years of experience in the league. James Casey is still listed as a fullback on the roster but has yet to practice with the fullbacks in training camp.
5. In team drills the offense repeatedly outperformed the defense. The Texans’ defense remains similar to last year, and had the upper hand earlier on in training camp, but the new faces on the offense are beginning to come together.
6. Watt is easily one of the biggest fan favorites in Houston. Watt observed practice with his arm in a sling, but received thunderous applause whenever he was anywhere near fans.
7. Danieal Manning has been held out of kick return drills all week, but returned for the first time today. All of the kick and punt returners performed well today, with several returned for touchdowns.
8. Lestar Jean and DeVier Posey are still in tight competition for the third wide receiver spot. Both had several impressive touchdown catches in seven-on-sevens.
9. Local Houston rapper Paul Wall observed training camp today as a guest of Brian Cushing. Local media and Texans players alike flocked to see him and it is rumored that he is working on another song about the Texans.
10. The attendance numbers have not been released yet, but there were thousands of fans at training camp today. The crowd seemed almost as big as Monday’s record breaking day.