Gary Kubiak was upset with the lazy effort at yesterday’s Texans practice, and the Texans responded today with a better team effort. Here are some observations from today’s practice.
1. Owen Daniels and Shaun Cody did not practice, but were not injured. Veterans are permitted to sit out a few days of training camp, and both should be back at practice tomorrow. Kareem Jackson and Darryl Sharpton were also present, but continue to miss practice because of injuries.
2. DeVier Posey had another good day today, and also had the day’s most exciting play when he flipped over Roc Carmichael to catch a pass from Matt Schaub on his outside shoulder.
3. The offensive line had issues with false starts today, and was received plenty of criticism from coaches. Last year, the Texans’ offensive line was among the most disciplined in the league.
4. Although practice was open to fans, very few attended practice. Over 5,000 fans attended monday’s practice.
5. James Casey received more first team reps with Daniels sidelined, and had several impressive catches from Matt Schaub.
6. Jef Maehl was inconsistent, but received plenty of positive attention from coaches throughout the day.
7. The Texans still seem unsure with who they are going to use at punt return. Keshawn Martin had the most chances, but didn’t seem to be particularly better than Trindon Holliday or Danieal Manning.
8. After practice receivers Lestar Jean, DeVier Posey, Keshawn Martin continued to work with Matt Schaub and Kevin Walter. Daniel Manning also made an appearance, and gave advice on breaking away from coverage.