10 Things You Didn’t Know About Texans Rookie T Nick Mondek
HOUSTON (CBS Houston) – Although there has been plenty of hype surrounding draft picks Whitney Merciuls, DeVier Posey, Keshawn Martin, and Brandon Brooks little has been said about Tackle Nick Mondek. Taken in the sixth round, The six-foot-five, 303 pound rookie from Purdue hopes to contribute to the Texans’ depth in the offensive line this season. Following are 10 things you didn’t know about Texans rookie tackle Nick Mondek.
1. Mondek plays tackle for the Texans, but played defensive end in high school and college. He was recruited as a defensive end and also played several positions on the defensive line before taking over as the right tackle at Purdue when their starter wasn’t getting the job done in spring practice.
2. He was born and raised in the Chicago suburb of Naperville, but has never felt a strong connection with Chicago.
3. Mondek enjoys Houston as a change of pace, but admits that he’s never been much of a city person. Living in West Lafayette while at Purdue and in Naperville has taught him to appreciate the simpler, more relaxed lifestyle of life outside the city.
5. His younger sister is currently majoring in accounting at Western Michigan University, where she has a 4.0 GPA.
6. His dad is a handyman, and makes a living working for a flooring company in Naperville.
7. His mom is a bookkeeper for an engraving company, which specializes in creating plaques for various trophies and awards.
8. He majored in physical education at Purdue, and planned to become a teacher if he was unable to go into the NFL.
8. Some of his fondest memories are from his grandfather’s lake house on Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin.
9. Mondek likes to do a variety of activities in the offseason, but enjoys relaxing and watching movies. His favorites include cerebral movies, such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Matrix.
10. He became a huge fan of country music while at Purdue, and recently went to a country music concert with fellow offensive linemen Cody White and Ben Jones.