The sanctions include:
- $60 million fine with the funds going to support nationwide programs for victims of child abuse. The total amount of the fine is equivalent to one year’s worth of revenue from the football program.
- PSU will be banned from all playoff and bowl game competition for four years
- Reduction in initial number of football scholarships from 25 to 15 per year for four years
- Football players may transfer to another school immediately and will be allowed to compete this year
- PSU will have all of their wins from 1998-2011 vacated and their records will reflect these changes
- PSU will be placed under a five-year probationary period
- NCAA reserves the right to initiate a formal investigation and disciplinary processes to impose sanctions as needed on individuals involved in this case following the conclusion of any further criminal proceedings
Though the NCAA stopped short of imposing the “death penalty” – shutting down the Nittany Lions’ program completely – the punishment is still crippling for a team that is trying to start over with a new coach and a new outlook.