Texas Man Dies from Electrocution While Hanging Christmas Lights

View Comments
Stock Image of lights. (Credit:  ORLANDO KISSNER/AFP/Getty Images)

Stock Image of lights. (Credit: ORLANDO KISSNER/AFP/Getty Images)

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas (AP) — A North Texas worker hanging Christmas lights on a historic building has died after being electrocuted.

Grand Prairie police say the man was moving a 40-foot-tall aluminum ladder when it fell onto power lines Friday morning. He had been standing on the ground but was still holding onto the ladder.

Police say 51-year-old Jens “Renee” Gardner died at a hospital, where he was taken after emergency personnel started CPR at the scene.

Grand Prairie is about 15 miles west of Dallas.

A website for the Historic Anderson Building shows photos from previous holidays. Red and clear lights outlined the windows of the two-story structure built in 1915, and a Christmas tree with sparkling lights was atop the canopy at the entrance.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 26,094 other followers