Colds can be annoying and waiting to see a doctor can be even more annoying. You want cold relief and you want it now. Here are 10 remedies I have used, are safe and very effective.
10. Add moisture to the air to ease congestion. Fill a large metal or ceramic pot with distilled or filtered water. Tap water has minerals that can be dispersed into the air. The government has not determined if this is a health risk. Place filled pot on stove at medium or low heat. Keep the pot filled with water. Do not leave pot unattended. Turn off stove and remove pot when no longer in use.
9. Gargle often. Use the original Listerine, vinegar water or salt water solutions to rinse your mouth. Add 3 tablespoons of salt to a small cup of water and for vinegar solution, fill half a cup of vinegar to half a cup of water. Gargle solution for two minutes. You can then rinse your mouth with regular water to remove the taste.
8. Saline nasal sprays are excellent for congestion relief. The salt in the spray helps kill nasty germs that may have settled in your nose and the moisture helps clear away congestion. You can use the salt and water solution to rinse your nose. Place the solution in a blue nasal bulb syringe. Close one nostril and place syringe in open nostril. Hold breath and inject solution. Allow solution to drain out of nostril and then repeat the process with the opposite nostril.
7. Homemade or canned chicken soups and stews are great for helping to rehydrate, comfort, and nourish. Use plenty of fresh garlic. It is a natural antibiotic.
6. Drink plenty of warm teas . Drink teas with echinacea, chamomile, lavendar, ginger, lemon, peppermint or honey. Celestial Seasons’ teas usually have one or a combination of these ingredients combined in their teas. the warm fluid will help relax nasal passages and allow mucus congestion to pass.
5. Get plenty of sleep. Put the electronic media down, crawl under warm covers and snuggle into bed. Sleep and loaf as much as you can. Your body needs you to sleep to devote energies to fight the germs and for restoration.
4. Drink lots of fluids. Drink water or juice (without artificial sweeteners or additives) to keep your body hydrated. Keeping nasal passages and throat moisturized will help keep mucus from causing congestion.
3. Take zinc lozenges and zinc nasal over the counter supplements to help decrease the duration and severity of colds.
2. Take your vitamins. Get plenty of immune boosting vitamins such Vitamin C, E, Zinc and Selenium.
1. Get some help. A good friend, family member, or spouse can be a great comfort when it comes to aiding you through an annoying cold.