Do you want to know how to create a carved face design on your pumpkin this year? Follow these instructions and be on your way to displaying a fantastic carved face on your pumpkin.
You will need:
- 1 Pumpkin with a hard body, no soft spots and able to sit on a flat surface. (found locally grown @ grocery stores & farmers’ markets)
- Carbon paper ( found @ office supply & art supply store)
- A sharp long knife
- Sharpie marker
1. Draw what you would like to carve onto your pumpkin on a piece of white paper. If you are not an artist or you just simply need ideas, you can get ideas from the following websites:
Prep the pumpkin:
1. Look for a pumpkin that is wide, tall or short enough for the type of art you wish to display on it.
2. Draw a circle around the stem on the top of the pumpkin, large enough for your hand to reach through.
3. Cut through the thick skin along the line and cut the circle out. Place the top to the side. Scrape seeds and pulp off of the underside of the top.
4. Use a a large spoon to scoop out pulp and seeds from inside the pumpkin. Discards seeds and pulp.
5. Place carbon paper beneath drawing or line art.
6. Tape carbon paper onto pumpkin (transfer side facing pumpkin) and then tape line art onto top of transfer paper.
7. Use a pencil to trace art work. The carbon paper will transfer the art to the pumpkin. Remove carbon and art paper.
8. Use a sharp kitchen knife to cut the pattern away. (Safety tip: Cut away from yourself.)
9. Push cut portions out gently from the inside and throw away the pieces.
10. Place a votice candle inside the pumpkin to create a dramatic glow.