How To Remove Ink Stains
From Our CBS Music Sites
Get Breaking News First
Did your pen burst while writing, the ink well accidentally fell over, or your child left his fountain pen in his pants again?
The resulting ink stain can be a headache but removing it doesn’t have to be.
To remove the stain first figure out what type of fabric or surface it has adhered to and then follow the directions below for resolution.
To remove ink stains on non-washable carpet with synthetic or natural wool fibers follow these steps:
1. Use a white cloth dipped in 90% isopropyl alcohol to dab the stain.
2. Apply a carpet cleaner with oil solvent.
3. Rinse the area with water and extract water with shop vacuum cleaner.
4. Repeat the steps until stain is removed.
5. Products like Awesome, Goo Gone, or liquid dish washing detergent can be used on remainder of the stain.
Follow these instructions to remove ink stains from washable clothing fabrics such as acrylic, cotton, linen, nylon, polyester or spandex, :
1. Spray a clear alcohol based hair spray such as Aqua Net to loosen the stain.
2. Allow garment to soak in a solution made of one tablespoon of distilled white vinegar, one quart of warm water, and one tablespoon of liquid dish detergent.
3. For stubborn ink stains, hydrogen peroxide can be poured directly onto stains and allowed to soak over night.
4. Wash according to fabric’s label care directions.
Follow these directions to remove ink stains from acrylic plastic, ceramic, tile, cork, glass, Plexiglas, polyurethane, porcelain dishes, porcelain fixtures, hard wood or vinyl clothing:
Combine one cup distilled vinegar to three cups water and place in a spray bottle. Spray the ink stain with the solution and wipe with a soft cloth or mop.
For tough stains, saturate stain with the vinegar solution, allow it to remain for for thirty minutes and then clean the surface.
Hydrogen peroxide can be sprayed full strength on to the described ink stained surfaces. It is advised that hydrogen peroxide be allow to set for a few minutes or hours before wiping it away.