How To Get A Passport in Houston
What Is A Passport?
A passport is an official document that contains the possessor’s citizenship, identification and approval to travel to other countries.
When Can You Apply For One?
- You need your U.S. passport in less than 14 days for international travel.
- You need your U.S. passport within 28 days to obtain a foreign visa.
- For all others, you will need to consult this site to find a facility that can handle your passport needs.
How To Apply
1. Schedule an appointment. Use the automated appointment system, 1-877-487-2778, to schedule an appointment at the Houston Passport Agency. Appointments are available from 8 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday and holidays are excluded.
2. Arrive on time for the appointment.
Houston Passport Agency is located at:
George Thomas “Mickey” Leland Federal Building
1919 Smith Street, Suite 1400
Houston, TX 77002
The Entrance is on 1919 Louisiana street.
There are pay by the day cash-only parking lots near the Mickey Leland Federal Building. The fees start at $5.00 per day. There are parking meters next to the building on Louisiana Street and on Smith Street.
Government agencies are very strict about appointments. If you arrive too late or too early you will not be admitted. If you arrive too early you will not be admitted until your appointed time . Arriving late will terminate your appointment time. You will have to schedule your appointment time again.
Be prepared to go through security screening, metal detectors and weapons are prohibited as stated by Title 18, United States Code, Section 930.
3. Proceed to 4th floor and check-in at information desk. You will need to verify your appointment with a confirmation number or your social security number. Only applicants, required witnesses, and those accompanying minors, disabled applicants, or serving as interpreters will be allowed to enter the waiting area.
For more information about passports, please click here.