HISD, City Team Up For Back To School Fest
From Our CBS Music Sites
Get Breaking News First
Houston Independent School District (HISD) and the City of Houston will host the first ever district-wide Back to School Fest.
The event is open to HISD students, parents and their legal guardians. Attendees must show proof of HISD enrollment, a current HISD student identification card or the student’s last report card.
The Mega Back to School Fest will take place in the George R. Brown Convention Center and start at 8 a.m. on Saturday, August 6, 2011.
Activities and services offered to the eligible public include;
• Dental, health and vision checks.
• Free immunizations.
• Assistance with school supplies and uniforms.
• Vouchers for haircuts.
• Information on HISD schools and programs.
• HISD resource and service information.
• City and community resource information.
• Fun, educational activities for children and live entertainment.
Mayor Annise Parker and HISD Superintendent Terry Grier are sending out the call for a whole host of truly rewarding volunteer opportunities. The Mega Back to School Fest needs citizen and corporate community-wide support to help show students just how dedicated their community is to starting them off right this school year. HISD Superintendent Dr. Terry Grier said individual volunteers are also needed to help run the event. “The students of HISD are Houston’s future work force and it’s in everyone’s best interest
to make sure they are well prepared,” Dr. Grier said. “With the help of our volunteers, the Back to School Fest will help ensure all of our children start the school year on track.”
Many sponsorship opportunities still remain available.
Already sponsoring this event;
• Shell Oil Company is the Presenting Sponsor
• Title Sponsors are the Blue Cross Blue Shield Care Van Program, Kroger, Reliant Energy, Texas Barber Colleges and Hairstyling Schools and UnitedHealthcare.
• Metro is a Platinum Sponsor
• Gold Sponsors are Amerigroup and KelseyCare, powered by CIGNA and Comcast are Bronze Sponsors.
• Additional sponsors are Better Houston, IKEA and Smart Financial Credit Union.
“We are a proud sponsor of this event,” Frazier Wilson, vice president, Social Investment, Shell Oil Company, said. “25,000 students are expected to benefit from this event; if even one of those students gains a passion for science and mathematics, then we will have made great strides in developing a future generation of thought leaders able to address the energy challenge.”
For more information please contact:
http://www.HISDBacktoSchoolFest.org or call 713-556-7200.