Odd Couple was true to form last night. As usual, Shaun wanted to strangle me
It occurred on my way home the generation gap that exists is a sign of the times. .
The Kid and I are polar opposites. He is a Gen X-Internet instant NFL talent evaluator; a disciple of Madden-X Box and You Tube.
The Living Fossil goes back to days when team owners brought college football magazines
Giant’s owner Wellington Mara drafted future Hall of Fame tackle Roosevelt Brown. From Morgan State that way. Others got hearsay tips from friends and business associates.
Rare was the kid from the small black school drafted; the same players that formed the core of the original AFL that started in 1960.
In the sixties and early seventies, before getting back into media full time, I had the privilege of scouting for some of the greatest minds in the game;Al Davis, Ron Wolf, George Halas and the legendary Paul Brown.
Being in the War Room, watching the wheeling and dealing as time ticked down on the clock was incredibly fascinating.
That was in the days before slick haired e experts and other full of themselves talking heads babbled about stats and combines.
Bijani is paralyzed by his own admission of the draft. Great American Crapshoot, the made for television prime time event. He thinks its calculus. Took him about five minutes to fill out his Mock Draft.
I kept changing my picks, trying to decipher all my notes from hours on the phones with my NFL contacts, driving him crazier than normal.
The bottom line: it is one huge guessing game. With that in mind and NOT knowing what trades will take place, here is my Mock Draft:
1. Carolina Panthers Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver Broncos Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
3. Buffalo Bills Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
4. Cincinnati Bengals A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
5. Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Cleveland Browns Julio Jones, WR, Alabama.
7. San Francisco 49ers Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
9. Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith, T, USC
10. Washington Redskins: Mike Pouncey, G-C, Florida
11. Houston Texans: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
12. Minnesota Vikings: Blaine Gabbert QB, Missouri
13. Detroit Lions : Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
14. St. Louis Rams: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
15. Miami Dolphins : Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
16. Jacksonville Jaguars Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
17. New England Patriots J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
18. San Diego Chargers Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, T, Boston College
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
21. Kansas City Chiefs Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
22. Indianapolis Colts Nate Solder, T, Colorado
23. Philadelphia Eagles: Danny Watkins, G, Baylor
24. New Orleans SaintsPhil Taylor, NT, Baylor
25. Seattle Seahawks: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
26. Baltimore Ravens: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
27. Atlanta Falcons Robert Quinn DE North Carolina.
28. New England Patriots Mark Ingram RB Alabama
29. Chicago Bears Derek Sherrod OT Miss State
30. New York Jets : Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Temple
31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
32. Green Bay Packers Cameron Haywood DE Ohio State